(toward) a phenomenology of acting / Phillip Zarrilli ; with a foreword by Evan Thompson.
- Other Title:
- Toward a phenomenology of acting
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020. , ©2020
xiv, 304 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Acting -- Philosophy.
Acting -- Philosophy.
- "In (toward) a phenomenology of acting, Phillip Zarrilli considers acting as a 'question' to be explored in the studio, and then reflected upon. This book is a vital response to Jerzy Grotowski's essential question: "How does the actor 'touch that which is untouchable?'" Phenomenology invites us to listen to "the things themselves", to be attentive to how we sensorially, kinaesthetically, and affectively engage with acting as a phenomenon and process. Using detailed first-person accounts of acting across a variety of dramaturgies and performances from Beckett to newly co-created performances to realism, it provides an account of how we 'do' or practice phenomenology when training, performing, directing, or teaching. Zarrilli brings a wealth of international and intercultural experience as a director, performer, and teacher to this major new contribution both to the practices of acting, and how we can reflect in depth on those practices. An advanced study for actors, directors, and teachers of acting that is ideal for both the training/rehearsal studio and research, (toward) a phenomenology of acting is an exciting move forward in the philosophical understanding of acting as an embodied practice"-- Provided by publisher.
- First person accounts of embodied practice: sensing as "living communication"
The lived/living bodymind
Attention and perception in action
Subjectivity, self, character, and figure in performance
The voicing body and sonorous speech
Toward an intersubjective ethics of acting
Afterword: Coda to no end
Appendix: An historical note on phenomenology, and suggested further reading
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Zarrilli, Phillip, (toward) a phenomenology of acting
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|