History and the written word : documents, literacy, and language in the Age of the Angevins / Henry Bainton.
- 1st edition.
- Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 
- Middle Ages series
The Middle Ages series
200 pages ; 24 cm.
- Great Britain -- History -- Angevin period, 1154-1216 -- Historiography.
English literature -- Middle English, 1100-1500 -- History and criticism.
Literacy -- England -- History.
Great Britain -- History -- Angevin period, 1154-1216 -- Sources.
English literature -- Middle English.
History -- Sources.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "This book is about how and why history-writers used-that is, invoked, cited, rewrote, or even performed-documents in the High Middle Ages. The author asks here, most basically, what those documents are, and he also asks what the documents mean and what they do. The book focuses on the histories written in the second half of the twelfth century in the lands of the Angevin kings of England and the documents that those histories reproduce"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|