Media, sport, nationalism : East Asia : soft power projection via the modern Olympic Games ; essays in honour of Professor J.A. Mangan's contributions to East Asian studies / Tianwei Ren, Keiko Ikeda, Chang Wan Woo (eds.).
- Other Title:
- East Asia, soft power projection via the modern Olympic Games
Essays in honour of Professor J.A. Mangan's contributions to East Asian studies
- Berlin : Logos Verlag Berlin, 
vii, 300 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Sports -- Political aspects -- East Asia.
Nationalism -- East Asia.
Mangan, J. A.
- "East Asia is increasingly prominent within global sport. In the short period between 2018 and 2022 it will have held two Winter and one Summer Olympics, and the Rugby World Cup for good measure. This is not a sudden development. It has been in train for some time, although many scholars, especially in Europe and North America, have been focused primarily on sport in their own countries and regions. J.A. Mangan, who for decades has been looking closely at sport in East Asia while encouraging others to do likewise, has made a major contribution to knowledge and understanding of a once under-appreciated subject. This excellent collection in his honour analyses the key interwoven elements of sport, media and nation in China, Japan and South Korea. It demonstrates how the structure and practice of sport connects in myriad ways with its representation, not least with regard to national narratives, international rivalries and transnational trends. It is a book that does signal justice both to East Asian Studies and to the academic who recognised the importance of sport to that field, and who has done so much to ensure that the region is centrally placed within any contemporary analysis of the world of sport"--Back cover.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Mangan, J. A., honoree.
Ren, Tianwei, editor.
Ikeda, Keiko, editor.
Woo, Chang Wan, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|