The Routledge handbook of Spanish in the global city / edited by Andrew Lynch.
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2020.
- Routledge handbooks
Routledge spanish language handbooks
Routledge Spanish language handbooks
1 online resource
- Spanish language -- Globalization.
Spanish language -- 21st century.
Spanish language -- Dialects.
City dwellers -- Language.
Languages in contact.
- Electronic books.
- Andrew Lynch is Associate Professor of Spanish and Latin American Studies at the University of Miami, USA.
- The Routledge Handbook of Spanish in the Global City brings together contributions from an international team of scholars of language in society to offer a conceptual and empirical perspective on Spanish within the context of 15 major cosmopolitan cities from around the world. With a unique focus on Spanish as an international language, each chapter questions the traditional and modern notions of language, place, and identity in the urban context of globalization. This collection of new perspectives on the sociology of Spanish provides an insightful and invaluable resource for students and researchers seeking to explore lesser-known areas of sociolinguistic research.
- Introduction: Globalization, Cities, and the Spanish Language in Postmodernity / Andrew Lynch
Globality and Locality. The "Glocalization" of Spanish in Asia: Spanish Language Study and Familial Use in Hong Kong / Álvaro Acosta Corte and Rocío Blasco García
Local and Global Elements of Spanish in Madrid / Francisco Moreno-Fernández
The Mass Mediation of Spanish in Miami / Marelys Valencia and Andrew Lynch
Making Global Processes Local: Conversational Recasting in New York City / Rachel Varra
Space and Orders of Indexicality. The City in Mind: Metalinguistic Constructions of Urban Space in Buenos Aires / Melanie Würth
Migration and Orders of Indexicality in Lima / Carol A. Klee and Rocío Caravedo
Spanish Language Visibility and the "Making of Presence" in the Linguistic Landscape of London / Darren Paffey
Building the Megalopolis: Dialectal Leveling and Language Contact in Mexico City / Pedro Martín Butragueño
Identity. Internal Migration and Ethnicity in Santiago / Scott Sadowsky and María José Aninao
Identity Positions and Agency among Chilean Migrants in Sydney / Vek Lewis and Fernanda Peñaloza
Advancing a Sociolinguistics of Complexity: Spanish-Speaking Identities in Washington / Amelia Tseng
Negotiation of Language Resources. Down the Sociolinguistic Rabbit Hole: The Complexities and Contradictions of Spanish in Barcelona / Michael Newman, Mireia Trenchs-Parera, and Victor Corona
Lexical Contact Phenomena Among Spanish Migrants in Cologne / Karin Vilar Sánchez
Negotiating Language on the Radio in Los Angeles / Chase Wesley Raymond
Spanish in-Motion in Milan / Milin Bonomi
Afterword: Spanish in the City / Francisco Moreno Fernández.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Online resource; title from PDF title page (EBSCO, viewed July 19, 2019).
- Lynch, Andrew, 1971- editor.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|