Routledge handbook of contemporary Thailand / edited by Pavin Chachavalpongpun.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020. , ©2020
- Routledge handbooks
1 online resource (xix, 455 pages).
- Thailand -- Politics and government.
Thailand -- Social conditions.
Thailand -- Economic conditions.
Politics and government.
- Electronic books.
- Pavin Chachavalpongpun is Associate Professor at the Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto University, Japan. He is the chief editor of the online journal Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia.
- "The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Thailand is a timely survey and assessment of the state of contemporary Thailand. While Thailand has changed much in the past decades, this handbook proposes that many of its problems have remained intact or even persistent, particularly problems related to domestic politics. It underlines emerging issues at this critical juncture in the kingdom and focuses on the history, politics, economy, society, culture, religion and international relations of the country. A multidisciplinary approach, with chapters written by experts on Thailand, this handbook is divided into the following sections: History, Political and Economic Landscape, Social Development, International Relations. Designed for academics, students, libraries, policy makers, as well as general readers, in the field of Asian Studies, political science, economics and sociology, this invaluable reference work provides an up-to-date account of Thailand and initiates new discussion for future research activities"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction : A Timeless Thailand / Pavin Chachavalpongpun
Thailand in the Longue Durée / Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit
Thai Historiography / Charnvit Kasetsiri
Economic Development of Post-war Thailand / Peter Warr
The Two Faces of Democracy / Michael K. Connors
The Logic of Thailand's Royalist Coups d'État / Federico Ferrara
The Development of the Hybrid Regime : The Military and Authoritarian Persistence in Thai Politics / Surachart Bamrungsuk
Securing an Alternative Army : The Evolution of the Royal Thai Police / Paul Chambers
The Monarchy and Succession / Kevin Hewison
Lèse-majesté within Thailand's Regime of Intimidation / David Streckfuss
From the Yellow Shirts to the Whistle Rebels : Comparative Analysis of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) and the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) / Aim Sinpeng
Mass Politics and the Red Shirts / Claudio Sopranzetti
Judiciary and Judicialisation in Thailand / Björn Dressel and Khemthong Tonsakulrungruang
Local Government and Intergovernmental Relations in Thailand / Grichawat Lowatcharin and Charles David Crumpton
Thai State Formation and the Political Economy of the Middle Income Trap / Apichat Satitniramai
Thailand's Corporate Sector and International Trade / Krislert Samphantharak
Industrialisation, Technological Upgrading, and Innovation / Patarapong Intarakumnerd
Transport and the Thai State / Saksith Chalermpong
Thai Identity and Nationalism / Saichol Sattayanurak
Money and Politics in Buddhist Sangha in Modern Thailand / Sara Michaels and Justin Thomas McDaniel
Buddhism and Power / Edoardo Siani
Secularisation, Secularism, and the Thai state / Tomas Larsson
The Southern Conflict / Anders Engvall and Magnus Andersson
Class, Race, and Uneven Development in Thailand / Jim Glassman
The Politics, Economics and Cultural Borrowing of Thai Higher Education Reforms / Rattana Lao
The State of Human Rights in the Aftermath of the 2014 Coup d'État / Titipol Phakdeewanich
Sex and Gender Diversity / Douglas Sanders
The Social Media / Wolfram Schaffar
NGOs and Civil Society in Thailand / Kanokwan Manorom
Environmental Politics in Thailand : Pasts, Presents, and Futures / Eli Elinoff and Vanessa Lamb
Thailand's Foreign Policy / Arne Kislenko
Beyond Bamboo Diplomacy : The Factor of Status Anxiety and Thai Foreign Policy Behaviours / Peera Charoenvattananukul
Thailand and the Great Powers / Matthew Phillips
Thailand's Foreign Policy Towards Neighbouring Countries and ASEAN / Pongphisoot Busbarat.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from digital title page (viewed on December 09, 2019).
- Chachavalpongpun, Pavin, 1971- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version: Routledge handbook of contemporary Thailand
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|