Latinx environmentalisms : place, justice, and the decolonial / edited by Sarah D. Wald, David J. Vázquez, Priscilla Solis Ybarra, and Sarah Jaquette Ray ; with a foreword by Laura Pulido and an afterword by Stacy Alaimo.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania : Temple University Press, 2019.
xxi, 315 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- American literature -- Hispanic American authors -- History and criticism.
Environmentalism in literature.
Hispanic Americans -- Social conditions.
Environmentalism -- United States.
Environmental justice -- United States.
American literature -- Hispanic American authors.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "Latinx Environmentalisms brings the environmental humanities into dialogue with Latinx literary and cultural studies. By considering how Latinx cultures are environmental but often refuse to identify as environmentalist, the volume explores the possibilities and challenges of Latinx environmental representations, especially how they broaden environmental justice to address decolonial frameworks"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction : why Latinx environmentalisms? / Sarah D. Wald, David J. Vazquez, Priscilla Solis Ybarra, and Sarah Jaquette Ray
Greenwashing the white savior : cancer clusters, supercrips, and McFarland, USA / Julie Avril Minich
The National Park Foundation's 'American Latino expedition' : consumer citizenship as pathway to multicultural national belonging / Sarah D. Wald
"A story is a physical space" : an interview with Hector Tobar / Shane Hall
Speculative futurity and the eco-cultural politics of Lunar Braceros : 2125-2148 / Christopher Perreira
Sun ma(i)d : art, activism, and environment in Ester Hernandez's Central Valley / Jennifer Garcia Peacock
"An organic being in the middle of Chicago" : an interview with Ana Castillo / Priscilla Solis Ybarra and Sarah D. Wald
Environmental justice and the ecological other in Ana Castillo's So far from God / Sarah Jaquette Ray
"We carry our environments within ourselves" : an interview with Helena Maria Viramontes / David J. Vazquez, Sarah D. Wald, and Paula M.L. Moya
"Between water and song" : Maria Melendez and the contours of contemporary Latinx ecopoetry / Randy Ontiveros
"Justice is a living organism" : an interview with Lucha Corpi / Gabriela Nunez
Memory, space, and gentrification : the legacies of the Young Lords and urban decolonial environmentalism in Ernesto Quinonez's Bodega dreams / David J. Vazquez
Postcards from the edges of Haiti : the Latinx ecocriticism of Mayra Montero's In the palm of darkness / Ylce Irizarry
"Against the sorrowful and infinite solitude" : environmental consciousness and streetwalker theorizing in Helena Maria Viramontes's Their dogs came with them / Paula M.L. Moya
Oedipal wrecks : queer animal ecologies in Justin Torres's We the animals / Richard T. Rodriguez
"The body knows and the land has memory" : an interview with Cherrie Moraga / Priscilla Solis Ybarra
Afterword : what is absent : fields, futures and Latinx environmentalisms / Stacy Alaimo
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Wald, Sarah D., editor.
Vázquez, David J., editor.
Ybarra, Priscilla Solis, editor.
Ray, Sarah Jaquette, editor.
Pulido, Laura, writer of foreword.
Alaimo, Stacy, 1962- writer of afterword.
- Other format:
- Online version: Latinx environmentalisms
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|