Advancing equality : how constitutional rights can make a difference worldwide / Jody Heymann, Aleta Sprague, Amy Raub ; foreword by Dikgang Moseneke.
- Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
xix, 392 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 23 cm
- Equality before the law.
- "In a world where basic human rights are under attack and discrimination is widespread, Advancing Equality reminds us of the critical role of constitutions in creating and protecting equal rights. Combining a comparative analysis of equal rights in the constitutions of all 193 United Nations member countries with inspiring stories of activism and powerful court cases from around the globe, the book traces the trends in constitution drafting over the past half century and examines how stronger protections against discrimination have transformed lives. Looking at equal rights across gender, race and ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, disability, social class, and migration status, the authors uncover which groups are increasingly guaranteed equal rights in constitutions, whether or not these rights on paper have been translated into practice, and which nations lag behind. Serving as a comprehensive call to action for anyone who cares about their country's future, Advancing Equality challenges us to remember how far we all still must go for equal rights for all"-- Provided by publisher.
- The urgency of advancing equality
Part one. Equal rights and nondiscrimination
Historic exclusion and persisting inequalities : advancing equal rights on the basis of race and ethnicity
Why addressing gender is foundational
One in thirty : protecting fundamental rights for the world's migrants and refugees
Negotiating the balance of religious freedom and equal rights
Moving forward in the face of backlash : equal rights regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity
From non-discrimination to full inclusion : guaranteeing the equal rights of people with disabilities
Ensuring rights and full participation regardless of social and economic position
Part two. Social and economic rights that are fundamental to equality
The right to education : a foundation for equal opportunities
The right to health : from treatment and care to creating the conditions for a healthy life
How far has the world come?
Each of us, all of us : taking action to strengthen rights globally.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Sprague, Aleta, 1986- author.
Raub, Amy, 1981- author.
Moseneke, Dikgang, 1947- writer of supplementary textual content.
- Other format:
- Online version: Heymann, Jody, 1959- Advancing equality.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|