EU-Japan relations and the crisis of multilateralism / Julie Gilson.
- Other Title:
- European Union-Japan relations and the crisis of multilateralism
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020.
- The university of sheffield/routledge japanese studies series
ix, 205 pages ; 25 cm.
- European Union countries -- Foreign economic relations -- Japan.
Japan -- Foreign economic relations -- European Union countries.
Japan -- Foreign relations -- 1989-
International economic relations.
European Union countries.
- "Presenting the history of relations between the European Union and Japan, this book explains the origins and significance of the momentous 2018 Economic Partnership Agreement and its parallel Strategic Partnership Agreement. Set within the historical context of the 1991 Hague Declaration and Action Plan of 2001, this book analyses the impact of recent background changes to the liberal trading order, the proliferation of free trade agreements, and uncertainty about the US' role in the world, on relations between Japan and the EU. Adopting a path dependent approach, it illustrates how these agreements were reached as a result of growing patterns of cooperative behaviour between the EU and Japan, and the imprint of shared past experiences in areas from trade to security. In so doing, this book also raises important questions about the future of multilateral cooperation, exploring the potential for bilateral agreements to undermine the possibility of finding international solutions to increasingly international problems. EU-Japan Relations and the Crisis of Multilateralism will appeal to students and scholars of European and Japanese politics and international relations, as well as policy makers internationally with an interest in these significant agreements."-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction to contemporary Japan-European Union (EU)
Global Context for EU-Japan relations
Japan and the EU as International Actors
A Steady Path to Cooperation
The Road to an Economic Partnership Agreement
Building a Strategic Partnership
A crisis of multilateralism?
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Gilson, Julie, EU-Japan relations and the crisis of multilateralism
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|