Political governance in post-genocide Rwanda / Filip Reyntjens.
- New York, [New York] : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
1 online resource (320 p.)
- Front patriotique rwandais.
Ethnicity -- Political aspects -- Rwanda.
Rwanda -- Politics and government -- 1994-
Rwanda -- Ethnic relations.
- Electronic books.
- Filip Reyntjens's new book analyzes political governance in post-genocide Rwanda and focuses on the rise of the authoritarian Rwandan Patriotic Front.
- Cover; Political Governance in Post-Genocide Rwanda; Title page; Copyright page; Contents; Acknowledgments; List of Abbreviations; Introduction; 1 The Capture of Power and the Path to Hegemony; Seeking Hegemony; Cleansing the Regime; Splits within the RPF; RPF-ization and Tutsization; Militarization of the Political Landscape; Conclusion; 2 Elections as a Means of Regime Consolidation; Preparing the Ground; Local "Elections" to Pave the Way; The Watershed: The 2003 Elections; The Routine of Cosmetic Elections, 2006 and 2008; Meeting the Challenge of 2010; Conclusion
3 Managing Political SpaceReining in civil society; Eliminating the independent press; "Decentralization" as a means to further central control; An army with a state; Law as a tool of control; Hiding the monopoly of power; Rare looks into the inside; The RPF challenged from within; Conclusion; 4 Human Rights - A Dismal Record; Rwanda, 1994-1996; Zaire/DRC, 1996-1997; Rwanda, 1997-1998; The Situation after 1998; Conclusion; 5 Dealing with the World and the Region; Keeping Outside Meddlers Out; Dealing with Critical Voices; Tackling the World; Countering French and Spanish Judicial Moves
A Regional PowerhouseConclusion; 6 Engineering a New Society; Technocratic/Bureaucratic Governance; A regime with a mission; Modernizing Rwanda and the Rwandans; Land and Agricultural Policy; Figures; Conclusion; 7 Managing Information, Imposing the Truth; "A new way of doing things"; The truth; Failed de-ethnicization; Imposing the Model; Conclusion; 8 The Politics of Justice; Domestic conventional justice; Gacaca; The ICTR; Justice in third countries; Conclusion; Conclusion; References; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|