The Kittiwake / John C. Coulson ; illustrated by Robert Greenhalf.
- London : T. & AD Poyser, 
- Poyser Monographs
1 online resource (313 p.)
- Electronic books.
- Returning to its breeding sites in the spring after a winter spent far out at sea, the Kittiwake is a familiar sight around the coasts of Britain and Europe. A pale, medium-sized gull with a 'gentle' expression and bright yellow bill, the Kittiwake has been the subject of behavioural research since the late 1950s - one of the longest running studies in the world. In this Poyser Monograph, John Coulson summarises these decades of research, revealing amazing insights into the life of these gulls, with wider implications for the behavioural ecology of all colonial birds. There are section
- Cover; Contents; Acknowledgements; Preface; 1 Introduction; 2 Kittiwake feeding methods and food; 3 Winter oceanic distribution and reoccupation of the colony; 4 Pre- breeding, nesting and nest building; 5 Eggs, clutch size and incubation; 6 Chicks, growth, fledging, productivity and desertion of the colony; 7 Weights of kittiwakes during breeding; 8 Factors affecting individuals within a colony; 9 Long- term changes in individual colonies; 10 Kittiwake survival rates, longevity and causes of mortality; 11 Colonies, recruitment and population trends; 12 Primary moult in the kittiwake
13 Kittiwakes and humansAppendix 1: The history and methods used at the North Shields colony; Appendix 2: Age of pairs of kittiwakes at North Shields; Appendix 3: Annual variation in productivity of kittiwakes; Appendix 4: Data relating to the effect of position in the colony and age; Appendix 5: List of scientific names of species mentioned in the text; References; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; U; W; Y; Colour Picture Section
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references (pages -297) and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Greenhalf, Robert, illustrator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|