Rebuilding Jewish life in Germany / edited by Jay Howard Geller and Michael Meng.
- New Brunswick, New Jersey ; London : Rutgers University Press, 
vi, 267 pages ; 24 cm
- Jews -- Germany -- History -- 1945-1990.
Jews -- Germany -- History -- 1990-.
Jews -- Germany -- Intellectual life.
Germany -- Ethnic relations.
Jews -- Intellectual life.
- "Featuring essays by scholars of history, literature, television, and sociology, Rebuilding Jewish Life in Germany illuminates important aspects of Jewish life in Germany since 1949, including institution building, the internal dynamics and changing demographics of the Jewish community, and the central role of Jewish writers and public intellectuals."-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction / Jay Howard Geller and Michael Meng
1. The politics of Jewish representation in early West Germany / Jay Howard Geller
2.Dt We have the right to exist here: Jewish politics and the challenges of Wiedergutmachung in post-Holocaust Germany / Andrea A. Sinn
3. Bernhard Brilling and the reconstruction of Jewish archives in postwar Germany / Jason Lustig
4. Whose heritage?: early postwar German-Jewish history as remigrants' history: the case of Hamburg / Miriam Rürup
5. Migration, memory and new beginnings: the postwar Jewish community in Frankfurt am Main / Tobias Freimüller
6. : Helmut Eschwege and Jewish life in the German Democratic Republic / Alexander Walther
7. Learning years on the path to dissidence: Stefan Heym's friendship with Robert Havemann and Wolf Biermann / Cathy S. Gelbin
8. Ernst Bloch's eschatological marxism / Michael Meng
9. Diasporic place-making in Barbara Honigmann / Katja Garloff
10T ur Tur's Lantern on a tiny island: new historiographical perspectives on East German Jewish history / Constantin Goschler
11. Community responses to the immigration of Russian-speaking Jews to Germany, 1990-2006 / Joseph Cronin
12. Policing the East: the new Jewish hero in Dominik Graf's crime drama Im Angesicht des Verbrechens / Jill Suzanne Smith
13. "You are my liberty:" on the negotiation of Holocaust and other memories for Israelis in Berlin / Irit Dekel
Epilogue / Jay Howard Geller and Michael Meng
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Geller, Jay Howard, editor.
Meng, Michael, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|