Black light white noise : sound and light in contemporary art / Contemporary Arts Museum Houston ; exhibit curator, Valerie Cassel Oliver.
- Other Title:
- Sound and light in contemporary art
- Houston, TX : Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, ©2007.
1 videodisc (approximately 47 min.) : sound, and si., color and black and white ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 catalog (65 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 19 cm)
- African American art -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.
African American art -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
Art, Modern -- Exhibitions.
Installations (Art) -- Exhibitions.
Video art -- Exhibitions.
Computer art -- Exhibitions.
Light art -- Exhibitions.
Sound in art -- Exhibitions.
Art, American -- Texas -- Houston -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.
Art, American -- Texas -- Houston -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
African American art.
Sound in art.
Texas -- Houston.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- DVD; Region 1, NTSC; Dolby Digital sound.
- The Black Light/White Noise: Sound and Light in Contemporary Art documents an installation-oriented show at the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston in 2007. All the contributors are contemporary black artists working with sound and light, which often reflect a distinctly black cultural perspective. Selected canonical works are exhibited, that place these 21st-century sound and light works in context with the history of the genre. The accompanying catalog contains extensive photographic and audio documentation on each installation, along with biographical and bibliographical information on each artist.
- Cosmic conundrum/ Sanford Biggers (2006)
Spectrum colors sequenced by chance / Louis Cameron (2005)
Universal / Louis Cameron (2004-05)
Untitled / Louis Cameron (2001)
Complex, So. Cal multi 4 / Kianga Ford
96 degrees in the shade / Kira Lynn Harris (2000)
Crescendo / Kira Lynn Harris (2006)
Waterfall / Kira Lynn Harris (2005-06)
8 track shack / Satch Hoyt (2007)
My black death / Arthur Jafa (2003-07)
What a little moonlight / Jennie C. Jones (2007)
Rio Negro / George Lewis (1992)
Narokan / Tom Lloyd (1965)
Blackbodyradiation / Yvette Mattern (2007)
Take what you can / Kori Newkirk (2005)
Higher standard (Red bone Cadillac) / Kori Newkirk (1998)
Midnight son (Horizon) / Kori Newkirk (1999)
Prototype 1 / Kori Newkirk (1992)
Driftglass / Camille Norment (2001-04)
Kissing cousins / Kambui Olujimi (2006-07)
Whispering domes / Karyn Olivier (2001)
Duo for voice and string instrument / Benjamin Patterson (1961)
Wormwood / Nadine Robinson (2005)
Waken / Soundlab [Beth Coleman and Howard Goldkrand] (2005).
- Editorial direction, Valerie Cassel Oliver ; editor, Polly Koch.
- "This DVD and catalog have been published to accompany the exhibition Black Light/White Noise: Sound and Light in Contemporary Art, organized by Valerie Cassel Oliver, Curator, Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, May 26-August 5, 2007"--Accompanying catalog: t.p. verso.
Special features: Essays "Sound, Light, Action: 'Socio-aesthetic' Space" by Romi Crawford, "Do Negroids Dream of Electric Screech?" by Greg Tate, and "Blinding Light/Immutable Rhythm: The Black Imprint in the Exploration of Light and Sound" by Valerie Cassel Oliver [text feature].
- Cassel Oliver, Valerie.
Harris, Kira Lynn.
Jones, Jennie C.
Lewis, George, 1952-
Patterson, Ben, 1934-2016.
Contemporary Arts Museum.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|