Hidden in plain view : the secret story of quilts and the underground railroad / Jacqueline L. Tobin and Raymond G. Dobard, Ph.D. .
- First Anchor books edition.
- New York, N.Y. : Anchor Books, a division of Random House, Inc., 2000
, x, , 220,  pages,  pages of plates : illustrations (some color), color map ; 21 cm
- Underground Railroad.
Fugitive slaves -- United States -- Communication -- History -- 19th century.
African American quilts -- Social aspects -- History -- 19th century.
Ciphers -- History -- 19th century.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- Describes how African Americans made coded quilts and how they used them to escape on the underground railroad.
- The Fabric of heritage: Africa and African American quiltmaking
The Underground railroad
"There are five square knots ..."
"The Monkey wrench turns the wagon wheel ..."
"Once they got to the crossroads ..."
"Flying geese stay on the drunkard's path ..."
African American quilts: style and traditions.
- "First Anchor Books Edition, January 2000."
"Originally published in hardcover in the United States by Doubleday in 1999"--Title page verso.
"Forewords by Cuesta Benberry, Floyd Coleman, Ph.D., and Maude Southwell Wahlman, Ph.D."
"New to the paperback edition is an afterword by Jacqueline Tobin and Raymond Dobard, revealing and explicating the second part of Ozella's Code, which instructed fugitives how to survive the journey to Canada, and freedom"--Cover.
"Cover design by Allison J. Warner. Cover photograph by R. Dobard."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 205-220).
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Dobard, Raymond G., author.
Benberry, Cuesta, writer of foreword.
Coleman, Floyd W., 1939- writer of foreword.
Wahlman, Maude, writer of foreword.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|