Reading and writing in science : tools to develop disciplinary literacy / Maria C. Grant, Douglas Fisher, Diane Lapp.
- 2nd edition.
- Thousand Oaks, : Corwin A SAGE Company, 2015.
- Sage knowledge.
1 online resource (176 pages) : illustrations
- Science -- Study and teaching (Secondary)
Science -- Terminology -- Study and teaching (Secondary)
Language arts -- Correlation with content subjects.
- Engage your students in scientific thinking across disciplines! Did you know that scientists spend more than half of their time reading and writing? Students who are science literate can analyze, present, and defend data - both orally and in writing. The updated edition of this bestseller offers strategies to link the new science standards with literacy expectations and specific ideas you can put to work right away. Features include: . A discussion of how to use science to develop essential 21st century skills . Instructional routines that help students become better writers . Useful strategies for using complex scientific texts in the classroom . Tools to monitor student progress through formative assessment When students are curious, they thrive. Give your students the strong base they need to create and share scientific ideas that have an impact in the classroom and beyond. "This is a teacher-friendly book that drew me in from the introduction to the end. Through real-life scenarios combined with useful methods for instruction, it illustrates how science teachers can use language as a tool for teaching science." -Trina Allen, Science Content Specialist Measurement Incorporated "An eminently readable guide for the novice and experienced teacher. The many practical ideas in this volume demonstrate that improving students' skills in reading and writing can also improve their understanding and ability in science." - Cary Sneider, Associate Research Professor Portland State University, Portland, OR.
- Part of the SAGE Knowledge collection.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on XML content.
- Fisher, Douglas, 1965- author.
Lapp, Diane, author.
- Other format:
- Print version :
- 9781544359960 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|