Transforming Education Outcomes in Africa [electronic resource] : Learning from Togo / edited by Johannes Hoogeveen, Mariacristina Rossi.
- 1st ed. 2019.
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Palgrave Pivot, 2019.
1 online resource (110 pages)
- Education—Economic aspects.
Education and state.
- Local subjects:
- Education Economics. (search)
Educational Policy and Politics. (search)
African Economics. (search)
Public Economics. (search)
Development Economics. (search)
- Good education changes lives. It is therefore unsurprising that improved schooling plays a central part in most development strategies. At the same time, the expansion of school attainment alone is not sufficient to guarantee improved welfare. This open access book focuses on one country in West Africa, Togo, to explore what a country that has successfully increased enrollment rates can do to enhance learning outcomes. The authors explore different avenues for improvement, including enhancing the efficiency with which resources are used; increasing the qualifications of teachers; and through greater community involvement in school management. There is scope for improvement along all these dimensions, yet changes at the margin are insufficient to bring about the transformation needed to bring about acceptable levels of learning. Important reading for anyone interested in understanding the pathways to improving the education system in Togo and other developing countries. Except where otherwise noted, this book is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 IGO License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/igo/.
- Chapter 1: Learning in Sub-Sahara Africa
Chapter 2: Primary Education in Togo
Chapter 3: Drivers of Performance
Chapter 4: Student Learning
Chapter 5: Policy Suggestions and Concluding Remarks.
- Hoogeveen, Johannes. editor., Editor,
Rossi, Mariacristina. editor., Editor,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-030-12708-4 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Open Access
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|