German Americans on the middle border : from antislavery to reconciliation, 1830-1877 / Zachary Stuart Garrison.
- Carbondale, IL : Southern Illinois University Press, 
xii, 213 pages : illustrations, map ; 23 cm
- American Civil War (1861-1865).
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, German American.
German Americans -- Missouri -- History -- 19th century.
German Americans -- Politics and government -- 19th century.
Antislavery movements -- Missouri -- History -- 19th century.
Middle West -- Race relations -- History -- 19th century.
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1857-1861.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1861-1865.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1865-1877.
German Americans -- Politics and government.
Military participation -- German American.
Politics and government.
- "This book assesses the impact of German immigrant liberal ideology on the "Middle Border," the region suddenly bisected by slavery in the middle of the nineteenth century and physically separated by the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi river valleys." --Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: Im Abendlande
Building a Neuen Deutschland: the Dreissiger Immigration and the origins of German liberalism in the border West
The politicization of German liberals: the Revolution of 1848 and the second wave of German immigration to the border West
"I was an enthusiastic democrat in those days": free soil, free labor, and the realignment of German liberals in the border West, 1852-1856
Antislavery Germans and the Election of 1860
The West's most loyal unionists: union, emancipation, and German soldiers' motivations in the border west
Rebel bushwhackers and the "damned Dutch": radical Germans and the deeper roots of Missouri's guerrilla war
The radical turn: abolition and the crisis of German liberalism in the border West
"A terrible mistake was made": the retreat of German liberalism in the border West.
- Includes bibliographical references ( pages 187-208) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|