The Oxford handbook of the history of physics / edited by Jed Z. Buchwald and Robert Fox.
- Other Title:
- History of physics
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Oxford handbooks online
Oxford handbooks online
1 online resource (ix, 945 pages) : illustrations (black and white)
- Physics -- History.
- This Handbook traces the history of physics, bringing together chapters on major advances in the field from the 17th century to the present day. It is organised into four sections, following a broadly chronological structure. Part I explores the place of reason, mathematics, and experiment in the scientific revolution of the 17th century. Part II looks at the 'long' 18th century, covering developments relating to the physics of imponderable fluids, mechanics, electricity, and magnetism. Part III takes us to the 19th century and covers topics ranging from optics to thermodynamics, applications of physics in medicine and metrology. Part IV takes us into the age of 'modern physics' and considers canonical landmarks such as the discovery of the photoelectric effect in 1887.
- Introduction / Jed Z. Buchwald, Robert Fox
The Physics of Imponderable Fluids / Giuliano Pancaldi
Physics on Show: Entertainment, Demonstration, and Research in the Long Eighteenth Century / Larry Stewart
Instruments and Instrument-Makers, 1700-1850 / Anita McConnell
Mechanics in the Eighteenth Century / Sandro Caparrini, Craig Fraser
Laplace and the Physics of Short-Range Forces / Robert Fox
Electricity and Magnetism to Volta / Jed Z. Buchwald
Optics in the Nineteenth Century / Jed Z. Buchwald
Thermal Physics and Thermodynamics / Hasok Chang
Engineering Energy: Constructing a New Physics for Victorian Britain / Crosbie Smith
Electromagnetism and Field Physics / Friedrich Steinle
Was There a Scientific Revolution? / John L. Heilbron
Electrodynamics from Thomson and Maxwell to Hertz / Jed Z. Buchwald
From Workshop to Factory: The Evolution of the Instrument-Making Industry, 1850-1930 / Paolo Brenni
Physics Textbooks and Textbook Physics in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries / Josep Simon
Physics and Medicine / Iwan Rhys Morus
Physics and Metrology / Kathryn M. Olesko
Rethinking 'Classical Physics' / Graeme Gooday, Daniel Jon Mitchell
The Emergence of Statistical Mechanics / Olivier Darrigol, Jürgen Renn
Three and a Half Principles: The Origins of Modern Relativity Theory / Daniel Kennefick
Quantum Physics / Suman Seth
The Silicon Tide: Relations between Things Epistemic and Things of Function in the SemiconductorWorld / Terry Shinn
Galileo's Mechanics of Natural Motion and Projectiles / N. M. Swerdlow
Physics and Cosmology / Helge Kragh
Cartesian Physics / John A. Schuster
Physics and the Instrument-Makers, 1550-1700 / Anthony Turner
Newton's Principia / Chris Smeenk, Eric Schliesser
Newton's Optics / Alan E. Shapiro
Experimentation in the Physical Sciences of the Seventeenth Century / Domenico Bertoloni Meli
Mathematics and the New Sciences / Niccolo Guicciardini.
- Previously issued in print: 2013.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Buchwald, Jed Z., editor.
Fox, Robert, 1938- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version :
- 9780191859281 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|