Solving polynomial systems using continuation for engineering and scientific problems [electronic resource] / Alexander Morgan.
- SIAM ed.
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM, 3600 Market Street, Floor 6, Philadelphia, PA 19104), 2009.
- Classics in applied mathematics ; 57.
Classics in applied mathematics ; 57
1 electronic text (xxiv, 546 p. : ill.) : digital file.
- Equations -- Numerical solutions.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- This book introduces the numerical technique of polynomial continuation, which is used to compute solutions to systems of polynomial equations. Originally published in 1987, it remains a useful starting point for the reader interested in learning how to solve practical problems without advanced mathematics. Solving Polynomial Systems Using Continuation for Engineering and Scientific Problems is easy to understand, requiring only a knowledge of undergraduate-level calculus and simple computer programming. The book is also practical; it includes descriptions of various industrial-strength engineering applications and offers Fortran code for polynomial solvers on an associated Web page. It provides a resource for high-school and undergraduate mathematics projects. Audience: accessible to readers with limited mathematical backgrounds. It is appropriate for undergraduate mechanical engineering courses in which robotics and mechanisms applications are studied.
- One equation in one unknown
Two equations in two unknowns
Other continuation methods
Geometric intersection problems
Chemical equilibrium systems
Kinematics of mechanisms
Appendix 1: Newton's method
Appendix 2: Emulating complex operations in real arithmetic
Appendix 3: Some real-complex calculus formulas
Appendix 4: Proofs of results from chapter 3
Appendix 5: Gaussian elimination for system reduction
Appendix 6: Computer programs.
- Originally published: Englewood Cliffs, NJ : Prentice-Hall, 1987.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 535-540) and index.
Description based on title page of print version.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- Publisher Number:
- CL57 siam
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted to subscribers or individual electronic text purchasers.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|