The mathematics of diffusion [electronic resource] / Wei-Ming Ni.
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM, 3600 Market Street, Floor 6, Philadelphia, PA 19104), 2011.
- CBMS-NSF regional conference series in applied mathematics ; 82.
CBMS-NSF regional conference series in applied mathematics ; 82
1 online resource (xii, 110 p. ) ill. ;
- Heat equation.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Diffusion has been used extensively in many scientific disciplines to model a wide variety of phenomena. The Mathematics of Diffusion focuses on the qualitative properties of solutions to nonlinear elliptic and parabolic equations and systems in connection with domain geometry, various boundary conditions, the mechanism of different diffusion rates, and the interaction between diffusion and spatial heterogeneity. The book systematically explores the interplay between different diffusion rates from the viewpoint of pattern formation, particularly Turing's diffusion-driven instability in both homogeneous and heterogeneous environments, and the roles of random diffusion, directed movements, and spatial heterogeneity in the classical Lotka-Volterra competition systems. Interspersed throughout the book are many simple, fundamental, and important open problems for readers to investigate.
- Introduction: the heat equation
Dynamics of general reaction-diffusion equations and systems
Qualitative properties of steady states of reaction-diffusion equations and systems
Diffusion in heterogeneous environments: 2 x 2 Lotka-Volterra competition systems
Beyond diffusion: directed movements, taxis, and cross-diffusion.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Title from title screen, viewed 08/25/2011.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
- Publisher Number:
- CB82 SIAM
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted to subscribers or individual electronic text purchasers.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|