The dance of death in late Medieval and Renaissance Europe : environmental stress, mortality and social response / edited by Andrea Kiss and Kathleen Pribyl.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020.
- Routledge environmental humanities
Routledge environmental humanities
xiii, 241 pages ; 25 cm.
Human ecology -- Europe -- History -- To 1500.
Human ecology -- Europe -- History -- 16th century.
Climatic changes -- Europe -- History -- To 1500.
Climatic changes -- Social aspects -- Europe.
Death -- Social aspects -- Europe.
Epidemics -- Europe -- History.
Famines -- Europe -- History.
Climatic changes -- Social aspects.
Death -- Social aspects.
- "This volume investigates environmental and political crisis that occurred in Europe during the late Middle Ages and the early Modern Period, and considers their effects on people's lives. At this time, the fragile human existence was imagined as a 'Dance of Death', where anyone regardless of social status or age could perish unexpectedly. This book covers events ranging from cooling temperatures and the onset of the Little Ice Age, to the frequent occurrence of epidemic disease, the infestation of pests, food shortages and famines. Covering the mid-fourteenth to mid-seventeenth centuries, this collection of essays considers a range of countries between Iceland (to the north), Italy (to the south), France (to the west) and the westernmost parts of Russia (to the east). This wide-reaching volume considers how deeply climate variability and changes affected and changed society in the late medieval to early modern period and asks what factors, other than climate, interfered in the development of environmental stress and socio-economic crises. This book will be of great interest to students and scholars of Environmental and Climate History, Environmental Humanities, Medieval and Early Modern History and Historical Geography, as well as Climate Change and Environmental Sciences"-- Provided by publisher.
- Famines, livestock, deaths and scholarship : environmental stress in Iceland ca. 1500-1700 / Astrid E.J. Ogilvie
Winter severity in medieval Sweden : the documentary evidence / Dag RetsoÌ and Johan SoÌderberg
The grain trade, economic distress and social disorder at a time of environmental stress in East Anglia, 1400-ca.1440 / Kathleen Pribyl
War, climatic stress and environmental degradation during the 15th and 16thcenturies : the case of the north Flemish coastal landscape in the estuary of the Western Scheldt / Adriaan M.J. de Kraker
From the alpine mountain height to the Swiss Lake District : climate and society in the city and Republic of Berne from the 14th to the 16th centuries / Chantal Camenisch
Apocalyptic riders in the borderlands : dealing with locust invasion, diseases and war in fifteenth- and sixteenth-century Eastern and Southern Austria / Christian Rohr
A dynamic interplay of weather, biological factors and socio-economic interactions : late 15th-century-early 16th-century crises in Hungary / Andrea Kiss
The extreme year of 1540 in terms of climate variation from the perspective of historical sources derived from the Polish and Baltic territories / WiesÅaw Nowosad and Piotr OlinÌski
Migration patterns from Dalmatian hinterland during and after the great hunger of 1453-1454 as consequence of environmental and political crisis / Zrinka NikolicÌ Jakus
The "Danse Macabre" among climatic variability, famines and epidemics in Northern Italy during the 15th and 16th centuries : an overview through documentary sources / Silvia Enzi, Francesca Becherini and Mirca Sghedoni
'Toute chose se desnature' : environmental changes of the 14th century in the perspective of contemporary witnesses (c. 1330-1400) / Thomas LabbeÌ
Chronology and impact of a global moment in the thirteenth century : the Samalas eruption revisited / Martin Bauch.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund.
- Kiss, Andrea, editor.
Pribyl, Kathleen, editor.
Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund.
- Other format:
- Online version: The dance of death in late Medieval and Renaissance Europe
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|