Assessment and intervention with suicidal clients. Volume 1 / John Sommers-Flanagan, PhD.
- [Mill Valley, California] : Psychotherapy.net, 2018.
- Assessment and intervention with suicidal clients
1 streaming video file (204 min.) : digital, sound, color.
- Suicide -- Psychological aspects.
Suicide -- Treatment.
- Educational films.
- Closed captioned.
- System Details:
- System requirements: Broadband with connection speed of 1.5 Mbps or greater; Internet browser; Adobe Flash Player for computer viewing.
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- "Suicide is so much more than a simple cry for help. Psychologist and counselor-educator John Sommers-Flanagan believes that suicidal ideation and behavior reflect the painful convergence of social isolation and deep emotional distress. Urging you not to be guided by clinical myths or outdated lore in our assessment and treatment of suicidal clients, he clearly and systematically teaches you how to intervene collaboratively and empathetically rather than from a position of authority and anxiety. Rich clinical demonstrations with suicidal clients will guide you in your practice to explore and mitigate risk factors by uncovering protective, life-affirming, and hope-centered resources. In the course of demonstrating these powerful strategies, Dr. Sommers-Flanagan shows you how to effectively use the Mood Rating Scale and mindfulness meditation in your own clinical work with suicidal clients. By watching him and then practicing these and other strategies, you will begin focusing on meaningful life events and potential sources of pleasure as counterpoint to your clients' suicidal ideation. You will also gain a clear working knowledge of the seven dimensions of suicidality which include unbearable distress or 'psyche-ache,' agitation, problem-solving impairment, social isolation/alienation, hopelessness; intent, desensitization, and lethal means. Additionally, you will begin mastery of the eight clinical tasks for working with suicidal clients which include connecting and collaborating, monitoring and managing our reactions, applying psychoeducation, collaborating on and constructing treatment and safety plans, consulting with other professionals, and documenting. Finally, Dr. Sommers-Flanagan will skillfully guide you in the delicate process of integrating your client's unique cultural beliefs, practices and worldviews into your shared assessment, treatment and safety planning. By watching this interview, you will be able to: 1. Demonstrate the assessment and treatment skills necessary to work compassionately and collaboratively with suicidal clients. 2. Apply the the seven clinical tasks and eight dimensions of suicidality in your clinical work with suicidal clients. 3. Incorporate the suicidal client's culture-bound beliefs and behaviors into your clinical work with them." Supplied by publisher.
- Featured expert: John Sommers-Flanagan.
- Title and description from publisher metadata.
Instructor's manual available for download on landing page.
- Sommers-Flanagan, John, 1957- commentator.
- Publisher Number:
- 414 Psychotherapy.net
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|