The Cambridge companion to the twentieth-century English novel / edited by Robert L. Caserio. [electronic resource]
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Cambridge companions.
1 online resource (xvi, 280 p. )
- English fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
English fiction -- History and criticism -- 20th century.
- Electronic books
- The twentieth-century English novel encompasses a vast body of work, and one of the most important and most widely read genres of literature. Balancing close readings of particular novels with a comprehensive survey of the last century of published fiction, this Companion introduces readers to more than a hundred major and minor novelists. It demonstrates continuities in novel-writing that bridge the century's pre- and post-War halves and presents leading critical ideas about English fiction's themes and forms. The essays examine the endurance of modernist style throughout the century, the role of nationality and the contested role of the English language in all its forms, and the relationships between realism and other fictional modes: fantasy, romance, science fiction. Students, scholars and readers will find this Companion an indispensable guide to the history of the English novel.
- The art of English fiction in the twentieth century / Dorothy J. Hale
The British Empire and the English modernist novel / Jed Esty
Realism and rebellion in Edwardian and Georgian fiction / Maria Di Battista
The Great War in English fiction / Paul Edwards
Postwar modernism in the 1920s and 1930s : the mammoth in the basement / Rod Mengham
Regionalism in English fiction between the wars / Matthew Hart
Ireland and English fiction / Anne Fogarty
Feminist fiction / Kristin Bluemel
Working-class fiction across the century / John Fordham
World War II, the welfare state, and postwar "humanism" / Marina Mackay
The Windrush generation / Timothy Weiss
History in fiction / James Acheson and Robert L. Caserio
Postmodernisms of English fiction / Andrzej Gasiorek
Detectives and spies / Allan Hepburn
The post-consensus novel : minority culture, multiculturalism, and transnational comparison / Rebecca L. Walkowitz
An absurd century : varieties of satire / Reed Way Dasenbrock
The other side of history : fantasy, romance, horror, and science fiction / M. Keith Booker.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 267-272) and index.
Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
- Caserio, Robert L., 1944-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|