The Cambridge companion to the Arthurian legend / edited by Elizabeth Archibald and Ad Putter. [electronic resource]
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Cambridge companions to literature.
Cambridge companions to literature
1 online resource (xix, 261 p. ) ill., maps ;
- Arthurian romances -- History and criticism.
English literature -- Middle English, 1100-1500 -- History and criticism.
Romances, English -- History and criticism.
Arthurian romances -- History and criticism -- Middle English, 1100-1500
English literature -- History and criticism
Romances, English -- History and criticism
- Electronic books
- For more than a thousand years, the adventures of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table have been retold across Europe. They have inspired some of the most important works of European literature, particularly in the medieval period: the romances of Chrétien de Troyes, Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur. In the nineteenth century, interest in the Arthurian legend revived with Tennyson, Wagner and Twain. This Companion outlines the evolution of the legend from the earliest documentary sources to Spamalot, and analyses how some of the major motifs of the legend have been passed down in both medieval and modern texts. With a map of Arthur's Britain, a chronology of key texts and a guide to further reading, this volume itself will contribute to the continuing fascination with the King and his many legends.
- The early Arthur : history and myth / Ronald Hutton
The twelfth-century Arthur / Ad Putter
The thirteenth-century Arthur / Jane H.M. Taylor
The fourteenth-century Arthur / John Burrow
The fifteenth-century Arthur / Barry Windeatt
The Arthur of the sixteenth to nineteenth centuries / Rob Gossedge and Stephen Knight
The Arthur of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries / Norris Lacy
Questioning Arthurian ideals / Elizabeth Archibald
Arthurian ethics / Jane Gilbert
Imperial Arthur : home and away / Andrew Lynch
Love and adultery : Arthur's affairs / Peggy McCracken
Religion and magic / Corinne Saunders
Arthurian geography / Robert Allen Rouse and Cory James Rushton.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
- Archibald, Elizabeth, 1951-
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|