Men of Roxbury : alumni illustrissimi scholae latinae / F. Washington Jarvis.
- Boston, Massachusetts : David R. Godine Publisher, 2020.
479 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Roxbury Latin School (Mass.) -- Alumni and alumnae.
Roxbury Latin School (Mass.) -- History.
High schools -- Alumni and alumnae -- Massachusetts -- Boston.
Roxbury Latin School (Mass.)
High schools -- Alumni and alumnae.
Universities and colleges -- Alumni and alumnae.
Massachusetts -- Boston.
- "Tony Jarvis, beloved headmaster of Roxbury Latin School for three decades, recounts the lives of the Boston school's most illustrious alumni, spanning from John Wise in 1669 to Charles Theodore Bauer in 1938. While the book is purposed as a history of the school, it also provides a wide-ranging and detailed history of the United States (particularly as the school produced many prominent doctors, war heroes, entrepreneurs, and politicians who made significant contributions on the national and world stages). Full color illustrations throughout"-- Provided by publisher.
- John Wise 1669 father of American democracy, grandfather of the Revolution
James Pierpont 1677 founder of Yale
John Williams 1679 "the redeemed captive"
Paul Dudley 1686 Attorney General and Chief Justice
Joseph Warren 1755 eminent physician, radical patriot, martyred general
Increase Sumner 1763 esteemed jurist and beloved governor
John Warren 1767 physician and patriot, Harvard Medical School founder
Robert Hallowell Gardiner 1872 ecumenical pioneer, savior of the school
Edmund M. Wheelwright 1872 prolific American architect
George Lyman Kittredge 1878 preeminent American scholar of his time
Edmund Swett Rousmaniere 1879 cathedral dean, lover of souls
Philip Leslie Hale 1883 artist and teacher of the Boston School
Arthur Vining Davis 1884 industrialist, developer, philanthropist
Harvey H. Baker 1887 pioneer advocate and judge of juvenile justice
Frederick Winsor 1888 founding headmaster of Middlesex School
Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. 1890 landscape architect and city planner
William W. Hoyt 1894 Olympic champion
James D. Dole 1895 "the pineapple king"
Charles W. Tobey 1897 New Hampshire governor and U.S. senator
Samuel S. Drury 1897 rector of St. Paul's School
Remsen B. Ogilby 1898 missionary headmaster and college president
Curtis Wolsey Cate 1903 founder and headmaster of Cate School
Paul Dudley White 1903 pioneer cardiologist, presidential physician
James B. Sumner 1906 Nobel prize winner in chemistry
James Bryant Conant 1910 Harvard president, ambassador, educational reformer
Clifton A.F. Sprague 1913 World War II heroic admiral in the Pacific
Albert H. Gordon 1919 legendary Wall Street titan and benefactor
Charles Theodore Bauer 1938 entrepreneur and philanthropist.
- Includes bibliographical references.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|