The Republic of Vietnam, 1955-1975 : Vietnamese perspectives on nation building / edited by Tuong Vu and Sean Fear.
- Ithaca : Southeast Asia Program Publications, an imprint of Cornell University Press, 2019.
vi, 198 pages ; 27 cm
- Vietnam (Republic) -- Politics and government.
Vietnam (Republic) -- Civilization.
Politics and government.
- Presents a collection of translated first-hand accounts of South Vietnamese military and civilian officials and prominent civilians who helped build the Republic of Vietnam. Through the voices of senior officials, teachers, soldiers, journalists, and artists, The Republic of Vietnam, 1955-1975, presents us with an interpretation of "South Vietnam" as a passionately imagined nation in the minds of ordinary Vietnamese, rather than merely as an expeditious political construct of the United States government. The moving and honest memoirs collected, translated, and edited here by Tuong Vu and Sean Fear describe the experiences of war, politics, and everyday life for people from many walks of life during the fraught years of Vietnam's Second Republic, leading up to and encompassing what Americans generally call the "Vietnam War." The voices gift the reader a sense of the authors' experiences in the Republic and their ideas about the nation during that time. The light and careful editing hand of Vu and Fear reveals that far from a Cold War proxy struggle, the conflict in Vietnam featured a true ideological divide between the communist North and the non-communist South.
- Coping with changes and war, building foundation for growth
The birth of central banking, 1955-1956
Reform or collapse : economic challenges during Vietnamization
Land reform and agricultural development, 1968-1975
Striving for a lasting peace : the Paris Accords and aftermath
Public security and the national police
Reflections of a frontline soldier
The philosophies and development of a free education
Personal reflections on the educational system
Life and work of a journalist
The Vietnam War in the eyes of a Vietnamese war correspondent
Song Than's campaign for press freedom
Writers of the Republic of Vietnam
The cinema industry
The neglect of the Republic of Vietnam in the American historical memory
Political, military, and cultural memoirs in Vietnamese.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Vu, Tuong, 1965- editor.
Fear, Sean, 1984- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|