The Cambridge companion to Victorian poetry
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Cambridge companions to literature.
Cambridge companions to literature The Cambridge companion to Victorian poetry
1 online resource (xxxvii, 321 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- English poetry -- History and criticism -- 19th century.
- This Companion to Victorian Poetry provides an introduction to many of the pressing issues that absorbed the attention of poets from the 1830s to the 1890s. It introduces readers to a range of topics - including historicism, patriotism, prosody, and religious belief. The thirteen specially-commissioned chapters offer insights into the works of well-known figures such as Matthew Arnold, Robert Browning and Alfred Tennyson, and the writings of women poets - like Michael Field, Amy Levy and Augusta Webster - whose contribution to Victorian culture has in more recent years been acknowledged by modern scholars. Revealing the breadth of the Victorians' experiments with poetic form, this Companion also discloses the extent to which their writings addressed the prominent intellectual and social questions of the day. The volume, which will be of interest to scholars and students alike, features a detailed chronology of the Victorian period and a comprehensive guide to further reading.
- Reforming Victorian poetry : poetics after 1832 / Joseph Bristow
"Lady of Shalott" and the critical fortunes of Victorian poetry / Kathy Alexis Psomiades
Experimental form in Victorian poetry / E. Warwick Slinn
Dramatic monologue / Cornelia D.J. Pearsall
Victorian meters / Yopie Prins
Victorian poetry and historicism / Hilary Fraser
Victorian poetry and science / Daniel Brown
Victorian poetry and religious diversity / Cynthia Scheinberg
Victorian poetess / Susan Brown
Poetry of Victorian masculinities / Thaïs E. Morgan
Aesthetic and Decadent poetry / Karen Alkalay-Gut
Victorian poetry and patriotism / Tricia Lootens
Voices of authority, voices of subversion : poetry in the late nineteenth century / John Lucas.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
- Bristow, Joseph Contributor
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|