Democracy, diaspora, territory : Europe and cross-border politics / edited by Olga Oleinikova and Jumana Bayeh.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2020.
- Studies in migration and diaspora
- Democracy -- Ukraine.
Ukrainians -- Foreign countries -- Politics and government.
Political participation -- Ukraine.
Ukraine -- History -- Euromaidan Protests, 2013-2014.
Ukraine -- Politics and government -- 1991-
Politics and government.
- "This volume offers a profoundly new interpretation of the impact of modern diasporas on democracy, challenging the orthodox understanding that ties these two concepts to a bounded form of territory. Considering democracy and diaspora through a deterritorialised lens, it takes the post-Euromaidan Ukraine as a central case study to show how modern diasporas are actively involved in shaping democracy from a distance, and through their political activity are becoming increasingly democratised themselves. An examination of how power-sharing democracies function beyond the territorial state, Democracy, Diaspora, Territory: Europe and Cross-Border Politics compels us to reassess what we mean by democracy and diaspora today, and why we need to focus on the deterritorialised dimensions of these phenomena if we are to adequately address the crises confronting numerous democracies. As such, it will appeal to scholars of sociology and politics with interests in migration and diaspora, political theory, citizenship and democracy"-- Provided by publisher.
- Democracy, diaspora and Ukraine : thinking beyond the territorial mentality / Jumana Bayeh and Olga Oleinkova
Democracy, diaspora and the territorial mentality / John Keane
Diasporic visions of democracy and territory / Jumana Bayeh
Democratic remittances and diaspora : tracking the multilayered political practices of migrants / Stefan Rother
Media cultures across distance : the transnational and transcultural of media communication / Nick Couldry and Andreas Hepp
The Euromaidan moment : the making of Ukrainian diasporic civil society in Poland / Roch Dunin-Wąsowicz and Joanna Fomina
Diasporic nation-building : the re-invention of national belonging within Ukrainian diasporas Ivan Kozachenko
The transnational activism of young Ukrainian immigrants / Serhiy Kovalchuk and Alla Korzh
The digital power of Ukrainians abroad : social media activism and political participation / Olena Fedyuk.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Oleinikova, Olga, editor.
Bayeh, Jumana, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Democracy, diaspora, territory
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|