The Other School Reformers : Conservative Activism in American Education / Adam Laats.
- Cambridge, Mass. [u.a.] : Harvard University Press, .
1 online resource
- Conservatism -- United States.
Conservatism -- United States -- United States.
Education -- Political aspects -- United States.
Educational change -- United States.
- Local subjects:
- Conservatism -- United States. (search)
Education -- Political aspects -- United States. (search)
Education -- Political aspects. (search)
Education, other. (search)
Educational change -- United States. (search)
Educational change. (search)
Social Sciences. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- LaatsAdam: Adam Laats is Associate Professor of Education and History, Binghamton University (State University of New York).
- The idea that American education has been steered by progressivism is accepted as fact by liberals and conservatives alike. Adam Laats shows that this belief is wrong. Calling to center stage conservatives who shaped America's classrooms, he shows that in the long march of American public education, progressive reform has been a beleaguered dream.
Introduction: Progressives in a Strange Land
1 What Does Jesus Have to Do with Phonics?: Understanding Educational Conservatism
2 Monkeys, Morality, and Modern America: Conservative Educational Activism in the Scopes Era
3 Pulling the Rugg Out: Textbooks and the American Way
4 Rich, Republican, and Reactionary: Pasadena's Revolt against Progressivism
5 Save the Children: Kanawha County in the Age of Malaise
Conclusion: Conservatism and American Education
- Electronic reproduction. Cambridge, Mass. [u.a.] : Harvard University Press, 2015. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed March 24, 2015)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4159/harvard.9780674735903 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|