Rootedness : The Ramifications of a Metaphor / Christy Wampole.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 
1 online resource (288 pages)
- Affiliation (Philosophy).
French literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
German literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
Metaphor in literature.
Roots (Botany) in literature.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- People have long imagined themselves as rooted creatures, bound to the earth-and nations-from which they came. In Rootedness, Christy Wampole looks toward philosophy, ecology, literature, history, and politics to demonstrate how the metaphor of the root-surfacing often in an unexpected variety of places, from the family tree to folk etymology to the language of exile-developed in twentieth-century Europe. Wampole examines both the philosophical implications of this metaphor and its political evolution. From the root as home to the root as genealogical origin to the root as the past itself, rootedness has survived in part through its ability to subsume other compelling metaphors, such as the foundation, the source, and the seed. With a focus on this concept's history in France and Germany, Wampole traces its influence in diverse areas such as the search for the mystical origins of words, land worship, and nationalist rhetoric, including the disturbing portrayal of the Jews as an unrooted, and thus unrighteous, people. Exploring the works of Martin Heidegger, Simone Weil, Jean-Paul Sartre, Paul Celan, and many more, Rootedness is a groundbreaking study of a figure of speech that has had wide-reaching-and at times dire-political and social consequences.
Chapter 1. Welcome to the Rhizosphere
Chapter 2. Radical Poetry
Chapter 3. Roots and Transcendence
Chapter 4. Saving Europe from Itself: Weil's Enracinement and Heidegger's Bodenständigkeit
Chapter 5. Sartre, Phenomenology, and the Root
Chapter 6. Etymology and Essence: The Primeval Power of Word Roots
Chapter 7. From Rhizome to Vegetal Democracy
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 22. Okt 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7208/9780226317793 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|