The visitor : André Palmeiro and the Jesuits in Asia / Liam Matthew Brockey.
- Cambridge : Belknap Press, 
1 online resource.
- Palmeiro, André, 1569-1635.
Jesuits -- Asia -- Biography.
Jesuits -- Asia -- History -- 17th century.
- Local subjects:
- Religion, Jewish Studies, Theology. (search)
Theology / Judaism / Religion. (search)
Theology, Jewish Studies and Religious Studies. (search)
- Electronic books.
- In English.
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- In an age when few ventured beyond their birthplace, André Palmeiro left Portugal to inspect Jesuit missions from Mozambique to Japan. A global history in the guise of biography, The Visitor tells the story of a theologian whose travels bore witness to the fruitful contact-and violent collision-of East and West in the early modern era.
Note on Orthography and Usage
Prelude: Nagasaki, 1635
Introduction: Company Man
Part One. Inside the Empire
1. Entering the Order
2. The Visitor in Training
3. Manager of Men
4. In the Footsteps of the Apostles
5. Among Archbishops, Emperors, and Viceroys
Part Two. At Empire's Edge
6. The View from Macau
7. To Beijing and Back Again
8. Challenging Accommodation
9. Sunrise in the West
10. Sunset in the East
Conclusion: A Baroque Death
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed June 15 2015)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4159/9780674735576 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|