European Intellectual History from Rousseau to Nietzsche / Frank M. Turner; Richard A. Lofthouse.
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource
- Civilization, Western -- 18th century.
Civilization, Western -- 19th century.
Philosophy, Modern -- 18th century.
Philosophy, Modern -- 19th century.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- One of the most distinguished cultural and intellectual historians of our time, Frank Turner taught a landmark Yale University lecture course on European intellectual history that drew scores of students over many years. His lectures-lucid, accessible, beautifully written, and delivered with a notable lack of jargon-distilled modern European history from the Enlightenment to the dawn of the twentieth century and conveyed the turbulence of a rapidly changing era in European history through its ideas and leading figures. Richard A. Lofthouse, one of Turner's former students, has now edited the lectures into a single volume that outlines the thoughts of a great historian on the forging of modern European ideas. Moreover, it offers a fine example of how intellectual history should be taught: rooted firmly in historical and biographical evidence.
CHAPTER 1: ROUSSEAU'S CHALLENGE TO MODERNITY
CHAPTER 2: TOCQUEVILLE AND LIBERTY
CHAPTER 3: J.S. MILL AND THE NINETEENTH CENTURY
CHAPTER 4: THE TURN TO SUBJECTIVITY
CHAPTER 5: MEDIEVALISM AND THE INVENTION OF THE RENAISSANCE
CHAPTER 6: NATURE HISTORICISED
CHAPTER 7: DARWIN AND CREATION
CHAPTER 8: MARX AND THE TRANSCENDENT WORKING CLASS
CHAPTER 9: THE CULT OF THE ARTIST
CHAPTER 10: NATIONALISM
CHAPTER 11: RACE AND ANTI-SEMITISM
CHAPTER 12: WAGNER
CHAPTER 13: THE IDEOLOGY OF SEPARATE GENDER SPHERES
CHAPTER 14: OLD FAITHS AND NEW
CHAPTER 15: NIETZSCHE
GLOSSARY OF NAMES
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 20. Sep 2019)
- Lofthouse, Richard A., editor.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300212914 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|