Land of Blue Helmets : The United Nations and the Arab World / Vijay Prashad, Karim Makdisi.
- Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 
1 online resource
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Born in 1945, the United Nations came to life in the Arab world. It was there that the UN dealt with early diplomatic challenges that helped shape its institutions such as peacekeeping and political mediation. It was also there that the UN found itself trapped in, and sometimes part of, confounding geopolitical tensions in key international conflicts in the Cold War and post-Cold War periods, such as hostilities between Palestine and Iraq and between Libya and Syria. Much has changed over the past seven decades, but what has not changed is the central role played by the UN. This book's claim is that the UN is a constant site of struggle in the Arab world and equally that the Arab world serves as a location for the UN to define itself against the shifting politics of its age. Looking at the UN from the standpoint of the Arab world, this volume collects some of the finest scholars and practitioners writing about the potential and the problems of a UN that is framed by both the promises of its Charter and the contradictions of its member states. This is a landmark book-a close and informed study of the UN in the region that taught the organization how to do its many jobs.
Introduction / Makdisi, Karim / Prashad, Vijay
PART ONE. Diplomacy
1. The Role of the UN Secretary-General: A Historical Assessment / Gilmour, Andrew
2. Palestine, the Third World, and the UN as Seen from a Special Commission / Allen, Lori
3. On Behalf of the United Nations: Serving as Special Rapporteur of the Human Rights Council for Palestinian Territories Occupied since 1967 / Falk, Richard
4. The UN Statehood Bid: Palestine's Flirtation with Multilateralism / Erakat, Noura
5. The Wrong Kind of Intervention in Syria / Bâli, Aslı / Rana, Aziz
PART TWO. Enforcement and Peacekeeping
6. Constructing Security Council Resolution 1701 in Lebanon in the Shadow of the "War on Terror" / Makdisi, Karim
7. The UN Security Council and Ghosts of Iraq / Chitalkar, Poorvi / Malone, David M.
8. Iraq: Twenty Years in the Shadow of Chapter VII / Hindawi, Coralie Pison
9. Libya: A UN Resolution and NATO's Failure to Protect / Bachman, Jeff
10. Peacekeeping and the Arab World: India's Rise and Its Impact on UN Missions in Sudan / Mampilly, Zachariah
PART THREE. Humanitarianism And Refugees
11. The UN Human Rights Game and the Arab Region: Playing Not to Lose / Azzam, Fateh
12. The Politics of the Sanctions on Iraq and the UN Humanitarian Exception / von Sponeck, Hans-Christof
13. An Agency for the Palestinians? / Husseini, Jalal Al
14. Challenged but Steadfast: Nine Years with Palestinian Refugees and the UN Relief and Works Agency / Grandi, Filippo
15. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees and the Iraq Refugee Operation: Resettling Refugees, Shifting the Middle East Humanitarian Landscape / Jamal, Arafat
16. The Syrian Refugee Crisis in the Middle East / Khallaf, Shaden
17. The Middle East: A Mandatory Return to Humanitarian Action / Sa'Da, Caroline Abu
PART FOUR. Development
18. The UN, the Economic and Social Commission for West Asia, and Development in the Arab World / Dahi, Omar
19. The United Nations, Palestine, Liberation, and Development / Khalidi, Raja
20. Peacebuilding in Palestine: Western Strategies in the Context of Colonization / Turner, Mandy
21. The International Labour Organization and Workers' Rights in the Arab Region: Th e Need to Return to Basics / Hamdan, Walid
22. Peacekeeping, Development, and Counterinsurgency: Th e United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon and "Quick Impact Projects" / Kassem, Susann
23. The Protective Shields: Civil Society Organizations and the UN in the Arab Region / Mohamadieh, Kinda
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 20. Sep 2019)
- Makdisi, Karim, editor.
Prashad, Vijay, editor.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1525/9780520961982 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|