The Poems of Hesiod : Theogony, Works and Days, and The Shield of Herakles / Hesiod.
- Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 
1 online resource
- Local subjects:
- accessible. (search)
accompanying notes. (search)
ancient greece. (search)
coffee table book. (search)
complex passage explanation. (search)
greek myths. (search)
greek poet. (search)
greek society. (search)
influential greek figures. (search)
modern translation. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In this new translation of Hesiod, Barry B. Powell gives an accessible, modern verse rendering of these vibrant texts, essential to an understanding of early Greek myth and society. With stunning color images that help bring to life the contents of the poems and notes that explicate complex passages, Powell's fresh renditions provide an exciting introduction to the culture of the ancient Greeks. This is the definitive translation and guide for students and readers looking to experience the poetry of Hesiod, who ranks alongside Homer as an influential poet of Greek antiquity.
List of Illustrations
Spelling, the Pronunciation of Ancient Names, and Map References
General Introduction: Hesiod and His Poems
Introduction to the Theogony
Introduction to the Works and Days
Works and Days
Introduction to The Shield of Herakles
The Shield of Herakles
Glossary / Index
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 20. Sep 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1525/9780520966222 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|