Postcolonial Counterpoint : Orientalism, France, and the Maghreb / Farid Laroussi.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
- University of Toronto Romance Series
1 online resource (240 p.)
- French literature -- North African authors -- History and criticism.
French literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
Islam -- France.
Muslims -- France.
Orientalism in literature.
Orientalism -- France.
Postcolonialism in literature.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Postcolonial Counterpoint is a critical study of Orientalism and the state of Francophone and postcolonial studies, examined through the lens of the historical and cross-cultural relations between France and North Africa. Thoroughly questioning the inability of Western academia to shake free of universalism and essentialism and come to grips with the Orientalism within postcolonial discourse, Farid Laroussi offers a cultural tour d'horizon which considers André Gide's writing on Algeria, literature by French authors of Maghrebi descent, and the conversation surrounding secularism and the headscarf in France. A provocative investigation of the place of Muslims and Islam in Francophone culture, Postcolonial Counterpoint asks how we must proceed if postcolonial studies is to make a difference in reconciling history, identity, citizenship, and Islam in the West.
1. States of Postcolonial Reading
2. The Orient in Question
3. Orientalism and Postcolonial Studies
4. Unfinished (Literary) Business: Orientalism and the Maghreb
5. André Gide and Imperial Dystopia
6. Fables of Maghreb Nationhood
7. A View from Diversité: Writing and Nation
8. The Challenge of Identities and the French Republic
Epilogue: Elusive Convergence?
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 21. Dez 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442619012 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|