Playing Out of Bounds : "Belonging" and the North American Chinese Invitational Volleyball Tournament / Yuka Nakamura.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource (232 p.)
- Belonging (Social psychology).
Chinese Americans -- Ethnic identity.
Volleyball -- Tournaments -- Social aspects -- Canada.
Volleyball -- Tournaments -- Social aspects -- United States.
- Local subjects:
- Asian American. (search)
Asian Canadian. (search)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Playing Out of Bounds investigates the North American Chinese Invitational Volleyball Tournament (NACIVT), an annual event that began in the 1930s in the streets of Manhattan and now attracts 1200 competitors from the U.S. and Canada. Its two key features are the 9-man game, where there are nine instead of the usual six volleyball players on the court, and the fact that player eligibility is limited to "100% Chinese" and Asian players, as defined in the tournament rules. These rules that limit competitors to specific ethno-racial groups is justified by the discrimination that Chinese people faced when they were denied access to physical activity spaces, and instead played in the alleyways and streets of Chinatowns. Drawing on interviews, participant-observation, and analysis of websites and tournament documents, Playing Out of Bounds explores how participants understand and negotiate their sense of belonging within this community of volleyball players and how membership within and the boundaries of this community are continually being (re)defined. This identity/community building occurs within a context of anti-Asian racism, growing numbers of mixed race players, and fluidity of what it means to be Canadian, American, Chinese, and Asian.
Chapter 1. Introduction
Chapter 2. "There's a Line, and We're Going to Keep That Line": Boundaries of Belonging
Chapter 3. Essentialism: Race, Gender, and Culture
Chapter 4. Traditions of Continuity and Change
Chapter 5. Match Point: The Future of the NACIVT
Appendix: Methods and Procedures
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 06. Apr 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781487531300 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|