Lust, Commerce, and Corruption : An Account of What I Have Seen and Heard, by an Edo Samurai / Mark Teeuwen, Kate Wildman Nakai; Mark Teeuwen, Kate Wildman Nakai.
- Other records:
- New York, NY : Columbia University Press, 
- Translations from the Asian Classics
1 online resource : Maps: 3,
- Criticism -- Japanese -- Asian.
Social classes -- Japan -- History -- 19th century.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- By 1816, Japan had recovered from the famines of the 1780s and moved beyond the political reforms of the 1790s. Despite persistent economic and social stresses, the country seemed to be approaching a new period of growth. The idea that the shogunate would not last forever was far from anyone's mind.Yet, in that year, an anonymous samurai author completed one of the most detailed critiques of Edo society known today. Writing as Buyo Inshi, "a retired gentleman of Edo," he expresses a profound despair with the state of the realm and with people's behavior and attitudes. He sees decay wherever he turns and believes the world will soon descend into war.Buyo shows a familiarity with many corners of Edo life that one might not expect in a samurai. He describes the corruption of samurai officials; the suffering of the poor in villages and cities; the operation of brothels; the dealings of blind moneylenders; the selling and buying of temple abbotships; and the dubious strategies townspeople use in the law courts. Perhaps the frankness of his account, which contains a wealth of concrete information about Edo society, made him prefer to remain anonymous.This volume contains a full translation of Buyo's often-"ed but rarely studied work by a team of specialists on Edo society. Together with extensive annotation of the translation, the volume includes an introduction that situates the text culturally and historically.
Era Names, Measures, Currencies
Part 1. Buyō Inshi and His Times
Part 2. Matters of the World: An Account of What I Have Seen and Heard
Prologue / Inshi, Buyō
Chapter 1 / Inshi, Buyō
Chapter 2 / Inshi, Buyō
Chapter 3 / Inshi, Buyō
Chapter 4 / Inshi, Buyō
Chapter 5 / Inshi, Buyō
Chapter 6 / Inshi, Buyō
Chapter 7 / Inshi, Buyō
Editions and References
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Breen, John.
Nakai, Kate Wildman, author.
Nakai, Kate Wildman, editor.
Teeuwen, Mark, editor.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7312/teeu16644 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|