Who Votes Now? : Demographics, Issues, Inequality, and Turnout in the United States / Jonathan Nagler, Jan E. Leighley.
- Course Book
- Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 
1 online resource : 44 line illustrations 26 tables.
- Elections -- United States -- Statistics.
Political participation -- United States -- Statistics.
Voter turnout -- United States -- Statistics.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Who Votes Now? compares the demographic characteristics and political views of voters and nonvoters in American presidential elections since 1972 and examines how electoral reforms and the choices offered by candidates influence voter turnout. Drawing on a wealth of data from the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey and the American National Election Studies, Jan Leighley and Jonathan Nagler demonstrate that the rich have consistently voted more than the poor for the past four decades, and that voters are substantially more conservative in their economic views than nonvoters. They find that women are now more likely to vote than men, that the gap in voting rates between blacks and whites has largely disappeared, and that older Americans continue to vote more than younger Americans. Leighley and Nagler also show how electoral reforms such as Election Day voter registration and absentee voting have boosted voter turnout, and how turnout would also rise if parties offered more distinct choices. Providing the most systematic analysis available of modern voter turnout, Who Votes Now? reveals that persistent class bias in turnout has enduring political consequences, and that it really does matter who votes and who doesn't.
List of Figures
List of Tables
Two. Demographics of Turnout
Three. Theoretical Framework and Models
Four. The Legal Context of Turnout
Five. Policy Choices and Turnout
Six. On the Representativeness of Voters
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Nagler, Jonathan, author.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9781400848621 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|