Finding the Right Psychiatrist : A Guide for Discerning Consumers / Robert L. Taylor.
- Other records:
- New Brunswick, NJ : Rutgers University Press, 
1 online resource (176 p.)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Choosing a psychiatrist is complicated. If a person doesn't know what to look for and the questions to ask, finding the right psychiatrist can be daunting.The goal is to find one who, while remaining a competent physician, is as comfortable and capable working with problems of the mind as he or she is prescribing psychiatric medications. Combining over forty years of experience as a practicing psychiatrist with an insider's perspective of current psychiatric practice, Dr. Robert Taylor provides invaluable guidance to persons considering psychiatric treatment or contemplating a change of doctor in an effort to find better treatment. Cautioning readers against settling for a psychiatrist who views psychodrugs as the treatment, Dr. Taylor provides specific suggestions for avoiding the growing number of psychiatrists who write scripts automatically. In recent decades, psychiatric care has been overly reliant on psychodrugs. Patient diagnoses are being seriously questioned. Finding the Right Psychiatrist encourages people to seek care from a complete psychiatrist-one able and willing to pursue matters of mind and brain/body, rather than settling on psychodrugs as the main treatment. Throughout the book, readers learn about the proper uses and limits of psychiatric diagnosis. Dr. Taylor carefully outlines an individualized approach to psychiatric care guided more by a patient's particular problems and situation than by diagnoses that often mislead more than help. He provides a realistic appraisal of psychiatric medications: what they can and cannot do as well, a discussion of mind work tools, traits of effective psychiatrists, suggestions for how to deal with common insurance company obstacles, and an explanation of the confusing politics of psychiatry. An indispensable resource for anyone seeking psychiatric help or tasked with advising someone of what to look for in a doctor, Finding the Right Psychiatrist gives hope and guidance to those searching for complete and personalized care. View a three minute video of Dr. Robert L. Taylor speaking about Finding the Right Psychiatrist.
1. What Makes Finding a Psychiatrist So Difficult?
2. Psychiatric Diagnosis: The Problem with Boxes
3. Psychiatric Medications: Their Proper Role
4. Psychiatrica Politicus: The Troubling Politics of Psychiatry
5. Mind and Body: Psychiatrists' Rightful Place
6. Mind Work I: Stories Gone Wrong and How to Fix Them
7. Mind Work II: Windows into the Mind
8. Finding the Right Psychiatrist
Summary Questions & Answers
About the Author
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 21. Dez 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.36019/9780813566269 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|