Laterites of the Bengal Basin : Characterization, Geochronology and Evolution / by Sandipan Ghosh, Sanat Kumar Guchhait.
- 1st ed. 2020.
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2020.
- Earth and Environmental Science (Springer-11646)
SpringerBriefs in geography 2211-4165
SpringerBriefs in Geography, 2211-4165
1 online resource (XV, 130 pages) : 56 illustrations, 45 illustrations in color.
- Local subjects:
Soil Science & Conservation.
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- This Brief analyses and discusses the laterites in the Bengal Basin. The book highlights: (1) the definition, identification and classification of ferruginous materials, (2) the mode of laterite formation and its other horizons, (3) processes and theories of lateritisation, (4) determination of laterite ages, (5) recognition of palaeogeomorphic and palaeoclimatic significance and (6) geo-chronology and reconstruction of former lateritized landscapes. The chapters cover the tectono-climatic evolution of north-south laterite profiles of the north-western Bengal Basin on the Rajmahal Basalt Traps, Archean Granite-Gneiss, Gondwana Sandstones, Palaeogene Gravels and Older Palaeo-Deltaic Alluvium. The book uses advanced field-based studies, quantitative analysis and thematic mapping to cover various areas of palaeogeography and regolith geology of the Bengal Basin in connection with laterite genesis, palaeoweathering, tectonic geomorphology, Quaternary geomorphology and pedogeomorphology. It introduces laterites as a potential stratigraphic marker in Indian geology by explaining their palaeogeomorphic and palaeoclimatic significance. This Brief is a comprehensive resource to researchers, students and academicians of geography, geomorphology and geology working on laterites.
- Chapter 1. Introduction to Laterite Study
Chapter 2. Literature Review and Research Methodology
Chapter 3. Geographical Setting of Study Area
Chapter 4. Characterization of Primary Laterite Profiles
Chapter 5. Characterization of Secondary Laterite Profiles
Chapter 6. Geo-chemical Properties and Lateritization Processes
Chapter 7. Geochronology of Laterites
Chapter 8. Palaeogeographic Significance of Laterites
Chapter 9. Laterite and Society
Chapter 10. Conclusion. .
- Guchhait, Sanat Kumar. author., Author,
SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-030-22937-5 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|