Transhumanism - Engineering the Human Condition : History, Philosophy and Current Status / by Roberto Manzocco.
- 1st ed. 2019.
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2019.
- Engineering (Springer-11647)
Popular Science, 2626-6113
Popular Science, 2626-6113
1 online resource (XIX, 293 pages) : 2 illustrations
Knowledge, Theory of.
- Local subjects:
- Popular Science in Technology. (search)
Philosophy of Technology. (search)
History of Science. (search)
Artificial Intelligence. (search)
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- This book is designed to offer a comprehensive high-level introduction to transhumanism, an international political and cultural movement that aims to produce a "paradigm shift" in our ethical and political understanding of human evolution. Transhumanist thinkers want the human species to take the course of evolution into its own hands, using advanced technologies currently under development - such as robotics, artificial intelligence, biotechnology, cognitive neurosciences, and nanotechnology - to overcome our present physical and mental limitations, improve our intelligence beyond the current maximum achievable level, acquire skills that are currently the preserve of other species, abolish involuntary aging and death, and ultimately achieve a post-human level of existence. The book covers transhumanism from a historical, philosophical, and scientific viewpoint, tracing its cultural roots, discussing the main philosophical, epistemological, and ethical issues, and reviewing the state of the art in scientific research on the topics of most interest to transhumanists. The writing style is clear and accessible for the general reader, but the book will also appeal to graduate and undergraduate students.
- Introduction. Technological Heaven
Chapter 1. Stairways to the Sky
Chapter 2. Across the transhumanist galaxy
Chapter 3. A new Tower of Babel
Chapter 4. Living forever
Chapter 5. Plan B
Chapter 6. Nanometric Cornucopia
Chapter 7. The New Flesh rising
Chapter 8. Trans-humans in the geopolitical arena
Chapter 9. Colonizing the mind
Chapter 10. Synthetic bodies, artificial minds
Chapter 11. Toward a radical life expansion
Chapter 12. Rapture of the Nerd
Chapter 13. The light of the very far future
Chapter 14. Transhumanism and science: a reality check
Conclusion. Stealing God's Thunder.
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-030-04958-4 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|