Introduction to Geometry and Topology / by Werner Ballmann.
- 1st ed. 2018.
- Basel : Springer Basel : Imprint: Birkhäuser, 2018.
- Mathematics and Statistics (Springer-11649)
Compact textbooks in mathematics 2296-4568
Compact Textbooks in Mathematics, 2296-4568
1 online resource (X, 169 pages) : 28 illustrations, 20 illustrations in color.
- Manifolds (Mathematics)
Global analysis (Mathematics)
- Local subjects:
- Manifolds and Cell Complexes (incl. Diff.Topology).
Global Analysis and Analysis on Manifolds.
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- This book provides an introduction to topology, differential topology, and differential geometry. It is based on manuscripts refined through use in a variety of lecture courses. The first chapter covers elementary results and concepts from point-set topology. An exception is the Jordan Curve Theorem, which is proved for polygonal paths and is intended to give students a first glimpse into the nature of deeper topological problems. The second chapter of the book introduces manifolds and Lie groups, and examines a wide assortment of examples. Further discussion explores tangent bundles, vector bundles, differentials, vector fields, and Lie brackets of vector fields. This discussion is deepened and expanded in the third chapter, which introduces the de Rham cohomology and the oriented integral and gives proofs of the Brouwer Fixed-Point Theorem, the Jordan-Brouwer Separation Theorem, and Stokes's integral formula. The fourth and final chapter is devoted to the fundamentals of differential geometry and traces the development of ideas from curves to submanifolds of Euclidean spaces. Along the way, the book discusses connections and curvature--the central concepts of differential geometry. The discussion culminates with the Gauß equations and the version of Gauß's theorema egregium for submanifolds of arbitrary dimension and codimension. This book is primarily aimed at advanced undergraduates in mathematics and physics and is intended as the template for a one- or two-semester bachelor's course.
- I. First Steps in the Topology
III. Differential Forms and Cohomology
IV. Geometry of Submanifolds
A. Alternating Multilinear Forms
B. Cochain Complexes
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-0348-0983-2 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|