Climate Change Impacts on Gender Relations in Bangladesh : Socio-environmental Struggle of the Shora Forest Community in the Sundarbans Mangrove Forest / by Sajal Roy.
- 1st ed. 2019.
- Singapore : Springer Singapore : Imprint: Springer, 2019.
- Earth and Environmental Science (Springer-11646)
SpringerBriefs in environment, security, development and peace 2193-3162 ; 29
SpringerBriefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace, 2193-3162 ; 29
1 online resource (XIII, 101 pages) : 10 illustrations, 8 illustrations in color.
- Environmental sociology.
Women in development.
- Local subjects:
- Environmental Sociology. (search)
Social/Human Development Studies. (search)
Women's Studies. (search)
Sustainable Development. (search)
Forestry Management. (search)
Development and Gender. (search)
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- This book explores gendered perceptions of the Sundarbans Forest in Bangladesh, and the extent to which these perceptions are affected by extreme weather events (specifically, cyclones Aila and Sidr). Based on ethnographic fieldwork in Shora, a rural village in southern Satkhira, Bangladesh, the book explores gendered activities in the forest, especially women's interaction with the forest resources. The findings present a clear picture of the Shora community's local knowledge about the Sundarbans Forest, as well as the ecological and economic contributions for the forest people. The book makes a timely contribution to the wider study of gender, post-cyclone recovery, ecology and resilience.
- Chapter 1. Introduction: Sundarbans Forest and the Gendered Context of Cyclones Aila and Sidr
Chapter 2. Theoretical Approaches: Gendered Knowledge in Forest, Ecology and Environment
Chapter 3. Methods and Methodology
Chapter 4. Narratives of the Sundarbans Forest at Shora
Chapter 5. Women's perceptions of and behaviours toward the Sundarbans forest
Chapter 6. Survival at Shora: Ecological Security and the Sundarbans Forest
Chapter 7. Implications of the gendered knowledge about the Sundarbans Forest at Shora and beyond.
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-981-13-6776-2 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|