New England English : large-scale acoustic sociophonetics and dialectology / James N. Stanford.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Oxford scholarship online.
Oxford scholarship online
1 online resource : illustrations (black and white).
- English language -- Dialects -- New England.
English language -- Dialects -- New England -- Phonetics.
Sociolinguistics -- New England.
- Electronic books.
- For nearly 400 years, New England has held an important place in the development of American English, and 'New England accents' are very well known in popular imagination. This text is the first large-scale academic project since the 1930s to focus specifically on New England English as a whole. It presents new variationist sociolinguistic research covering all six New England states, with detailed geographic, acoustic phonetic, and statistical analyses of recently collected data from over 1600 New Englanders. The work systematically documents major traditional New England dialect features and their current usage in terms of location, age, gender, ethnicity, social class, and other factors.
- Previously issued in print: 2019.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|