Love in the drug war : selling sex and finding Jesus on the Mexico-US border / Sarah Luna.
- First edition.
- Austin : University of Texas Press, 2020.
ix, 241 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates ; 23 cm
- Prostitution -- Mexico -- Reynosa (Tamaulipas).
Church work with prostitutes -- Mexico -- Reynosa (Tamaulipas).
Sex-oriented businesses -- Mexico -- Reynosa (Tamaulipas).
Religion and culture -- Mexico -- Reynosa (Tamaulipas).
Drug traffic -- Social aspects -- Mexico -- Reynosa (Tamaulipas).
Reynosa (Tamaulipas, Mexico) -- Social conditions.
Church work with prostitutes.
Drug traffic -- Social aspects.
Religion and culture.
Mexico -- Reynosa (Tamaulipas)
- "This book looks at sex workers in "la zona," a walled area within Reynosa (the Mexican side of the border), and the missionaries who came to Reynosa to "rescue" them. The relationship between the sex workers and the missionaries intensified and became more complex as the drug war in Reynosa escalated in 2008-2009. The author sees the border as a place that creates value for both groups, rather than being solely a barrier, and indicates that both groups chose to migrate there for the sex industry. The gendered obligations between sex workers and missionaries, sex workers and their families, missionary workers and God, and sex workers and drug cartels all feed into her analysis of "value," which leads to interesting discussions of non-sovereignty (the interconnectedness we all have but can't necessarily control), among other theoretical concepts"-- Provided by publisher.
- Drug work and sex work in Reynosa : Dinero fácil: the gendered moral economies of drug work and sex work ; Rumors of violence and feelings of vulnerability
The intimate and economic obligations of sex workers : Stigmatized whores, obligated mothers, and respectable prostitutes ; "Sometimes we, as mothers, are to blame": drug addicted sex workers and the politics of blame
Missionary projects in Boystown : The love triad between sex workers, missionaries, and god ; Love and conflict in sex worker/missionary relationships
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|