Resolving Community Conflicts and Problems : Public Deliberation and Sustained Dialogue / Jon Van Til, Roger Lohmann.
- New York, NY : Columbia University Press, 
1 online resource : 15 illus; 13 tables
- Civil society.
Communication in community development.
Forums (Discussion and debate).
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Public deliberation and group discussion can strengthen the foundations of civil society, even when the groups engaged in debate share a history of animosity. Scholars have begun to study the dialogue sustaining these conversations, especially its power to unite and divide groups and individuals. The twenty-four essays in this collection analyze public exchanges and the nature of sustained dialogue within the context of race relations, social justice, ethnic conflicts, public-safety issues, public management, community design, and family therapy. They particularly focus on college campuses and the networks of organizations and actors that have found success there. Open discussion may seem like an idealistic if not foolhardy gesture in such milieus, yet in fact the practice proves crucial to establishing and reinforcing civic harmony.
Introduction / Lohmann, Roger A. / Til, Jon Van / Ford, Dolly
SECTION I. BASIC STATEMENTS
1. The Structure of Sustained Dialogue and Public Deliberation / Til, Jon Van
2. The Sustained Dialogue Model: Transforming Relationships, Designing Change / Saunders, Harold H. / Parker, Priya Narayan
3. Sustained Dialogue in Action / Saunders, Harold H. / Parker, Priya Narayan
4. Sustained Dialogue and Public Deliberation: Making the Connection / Robinson, David
5. Let's Talk: Dialogue and Deliberation in Higher Education / Bedinger, Lisa
6. Deliberation, Dialogue, and Deliberative Democracy in Social Work Education and Practice / Lohmann, Roger A. / Lohmann, Nancy
SECTION II. SUSTAINED DIALOGUE IN PRACTICE
7. Diving In: A Handbook for Improving Race Relations on College Campuses Through the Process of Sustained Dialogue / Nemeroff, Teddy / Tukey, David
8. Derry Exceptionalism and an Organic Model of Sustained Dialogue / Acheson, Nick / Milofsky, Carl
9. The Role of Dialogue in Achieving Social Justice at a Large Public University / McIntosh, Jennifer / Morris, Charles
10. A Public Safety Process: Sustained Dialogue for Situational Policing / Nolan, James J. / Conti, Norman / Colyer, Corey
11. Facilitating Neighborhood Growth: A Commonsense Approach to Public Safety from the Relational Paradigm / Nolan, James J. / Kirby, Jeri / Althouse, Ronald
SECTION III. PUBLIC DELIBERATION IN PRACTICE
12. THE DELIBERATIVE POSTURE / Ryfe, David
13. Public Deliberation and Dialogue in Public Management / Williams, David G.
14. Deliberation and Dialogue and Commons Theory / Lohmann, Roger A.
15. Question Mapping: A Method for Organizing and Sustaining Dialogue / Ludeman, Richard F. / Gelles, Erna
16. Applying Family Therapy Principles to the Body Politic Through Sustained Dialogue / Newfield, Neal / Newfield, Susan
SECTION IV. BUILDING PRACTICE AND RESEARCH
17. Social Entrepreneurship in the Practice of Deliberation and Dialogue / Lohmann, Roger A.
18. The Future of Deliberation and Dialogue Studies / Til, Jon Van / Ford, Dolly
List of Contributors
Appendix: Core Principles for Public Engagement
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Lohmann, Roger, editor.
Van Til, Jon, editor.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7312/lohm15168 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|