The City as Subject : Seki Hajime and the Reinvention of Modern Osaka / Jeffrey E. Hanes.
- Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 
- Twentieth Century Japan: The Emergence of a World Power ; 13
1 online resource (360 pages)
- Economists -- Japan -- Biography.
Mayors -- Biography -- Japan.
Mayors -- Japan -- Biography.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In exploring the career of Seki Hajime (1873-1935), who served as mayor of Japan's second-largest city, Osaka, Jeffrey E. Hanes traces the roots of social progressivism in prewar Japan. Seki, trained as a political economist in the late 1890s, when Japan was focused single-mindedly on "increasing industrial production," distinguished himself early on as a people-centered, rather than a state-centered, national economist. After three years of advanced study in Europe at the turn of the century, during which he engaged Marxism and later steeped himself in the exciting new field of social economics, Seki was transformed into a progressive.The social reformism of Seki and others had its roots in a transnational fellowship of progressives who shared the belief that civilized nations should be able to forge a middle path between capitalism and socialism. Hanes's sweeping study permits us not only to weave social progressivism into the modern Japanese historical narrative but also to reconceive it as a truly transnational movement whose impact was felt across the Pacific as well as the Atlantic.
1. A Portrait of the Economist as a Young Man
2. The People's National Economy
3. Class and Nation
4. Toward a Modern Moral Economy
5. A New Urbanism
6. The Livable City
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1525/9780520926837 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|