Robert Duncan : The Collected Early Poems and Plays / Robert Duncan; Peter Quartermain.
- Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 
- The Collected Writings of Robert Duncan
1 online resource (875 pages)
- American literature.
Art and literature -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
Duncan, Robert -- 1919-1988.
Duncan, Robert, 1919-1988.
Gay men -- United States -- Biography.
Modernism (Literature) -- United States.
Poets, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- A landmark in the publication of twentieth-century American poetry, this first volume of the long-awaited collected poetry, non-critical prose, and plays of Robert Duncan gathers all of Duncan's books and magazine publications up to and including Letters: Poems 1953-1956. Deftly edited, it thoroughly documents the first phase of Duncan's distinguished life in writing, making it possible to trace the poet's development as he approaches the brilliant work of his middle period. This volume includes the celebrated works Medieval Scenes and The Venice Poem, all of Duncan's long unavailable major ventures into drama, his extensive "imitations" of Gertrude Stein, and the remarkable poems written in Majorca as responses to a series of collaged paste-ups by Duncan's life-long partner, the painter Jess. Books appear in chronological order of publication, with uncollected periodical and other publications arranged chronologically, following each book. The introduction includes a biographical commentary on Duncan's early life and works, and clears an initial path through the textual complexities of his early writing. Notes offer brief commentaries on each book and on many of the poems.The volume to follow, The Collected Later Poetry and Plays, will include The Opening of the Field (1960), Roots and Branches (1964), Bending the Bow (1968), Ground Work (1984), and Ground Work II (1987).
Introduction: Disturbing Poetics
The Years As Catches: Early Poems 1939-1945
Heavenly City, Earthly City
Uncollected Work 1933-1947
Uncollected Work 1948-1951
Fragments of a Disorderd Devotion
Caesar's Gate: Poems 1949-1950
A Book of Resemblances: Poems 1950-1953
Names of People: Stein Imitations from 1952
Play Time Pseudo Stein: From the Laboratory Records Notebook 1953
Uncollected Work 1952-1956
The Cat and the Blackbird
Faust Foutu: A Comic Masque
Medea at Kolchis: The Maiden Head
Letters: Poems mcmliii-mcmlvi
Appendix 1. Tables of Contents
Appendix 2. Jacket Blurb to The First Decade
Appendix 3. Preface (1972) to Caesar's Gate: Poems 1949-50
Index of Titles and First Lines
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Quartermain, Peter, editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1525/9780520953628 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|