Cleopatra : A Sphinx Revisited / Margaret M. Miles.
- Other records:
- Berkeley, CA : University of California Press, 
1 online resource (250 pages)
- Queens -- Egypt -- Biography.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- Cleopatra-a brave, astute, and charming woman who spoke many languages, entertained lavishly, hunted, went into battle, eliminated siblings to consolidate her power, and held off the threat of Imperial Rome to protect her country as long as she could-continues to fascinate centuries after she ruled Egypt. These wide-ranging essays explore such topics as Cleopatra's controversial trip to Rome, her suicide by snake bite, and the afterlife of her love potions. They view Cleopatra from the Egyptian perspective, and examine the reception in Rome of Egyptian culture, especially of its religion and architecture. They discuss films about her, and consider what inspired Egyptomania in early modern art. Together, these essays illuminate Cleopatra's legacy and illustrate how it has been used and reused through the centuries.
Cleopatra in Egypt, Europe, and New York. An Introduction
1. Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt
2. Cleopatra in Rome: Facts and Fantasies
3. Dying Like a Queen: The Story of Cleopatra and the Asp(s) in Antiquity
4. Cleopatra, Isis, and the Formation of Augustan Rome
5. Love, Triumph, Tragedy: Cleopatra and Egypt in High Renaissance Rome
6. The Amazing Afterlife of Cleopatra's Love Potions
7. HRH Cleopatra: The Last of the Ptolemies and the Egyptian Paintings of Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema
8. Glamour Girls: Cleomania in Mass Culture
9. Every Man's Cleopatra
Epilogue. Cleopatra The Sphinx Revisited
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Miles, M. M. (Margaret M.), editor., Editor,
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1525/9780520950269 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|