Tastemaker : Elizabeth Gordon, House Beautiful, and the Postwar American Home / Monica Penick.
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (260 p.)
- Architecture, Domestic -- History -- 20th century.
Architecture, Modern -- 20th century.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- A riveting and superbly illustrated account of the enigmatic House Beautiful editor's profound influence on mid-century American taste From 1941 to 1964, House Beautiful magazine's crusading editor-in-chief Elizabeth Gordon introduced and promoted her vision of "good design" and "better living" to an extensive middle-class American readership. Her innovative magazine-sponsored initiatives, including House Beautiful's Pace Setter House Program and the Climate Control Project, popularized a "livable" and decidedly American version of postwar modern architecture. Gordon's devotion to what she called the American Style attracted the attention of Frank Lloyd Wright, who became her ally and collaborator. Gordon's editorial programs reshaped ideas about American living and, by extension, what consumers bought, what designers made, and what manufacturers brought to market. This incisive assessment of Gordon's influence as an editor, critic, and arbiter of domestic taste reflects more broadly on the cultures of consumption and identity in postwar America. Nearly 200 images are featured, including work by Ezra Stoller, Maynard Parker, and Julius Shulman. This important book champions an often-neglected source-the consumer magazine-as a key tool for deepening our understanding of mid-century architecture and design.
Chapter 1. Beginnings
Chapter 2. Good Taste and Better Living
Chapter 3. The Postwar House
Chapter 4. The Pace Setter House
Chapter 5. Climate Control
Chapter 6. A New Look
Chapter 7. The American Style
Chapter 8. The Threat to the Next America
Chapter 9. A New Alliance
Chapter 10. The Next American House
Chapter 11. A New Regionalism
Chapter 12. Which Way, America?
Chapter 13. American Shibui
Chapter 14. Catalyst
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 29. Feb 2020)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300228458 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|