Custodians of the Internet : Platforms, Content Moderation, and the Hidden Decisions That Shape Social Media / Tarleton Gillespie.
- New Haven, CT : Yale University Press, 
1 online resource (288 p.)
- Social media -- Censorship.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- A revealing and gripping investigation into how social media platforms police what we post online-and the large societal impact of these decisions Most users want their Twitter feed, Facebook page, and YouTube comments to be free of harassment and porn. Whether faced with "fake news" or livestreamed violence, "content moderators"-who censor or promote user†'posted content-have never been more important. This is especially true when the tools that social media platforms use to curb trolling, ban hate speech, and censor pornography can also silence the speech you need to hear. In this revealing and nuanced exploration, award†'winning sociologist and cultural observer Tarleton Gillespie provides an overview of current social media practices and explains the underlying rationales for how, when, and why these policies are enforced. In doing so, Gillespie highlights that content moderation receives too little public scrutiny even as it is shapes social norms and creates consequences for public discourse, cultural production, and the fabric of society. Based on interviews with content moderators, creators, and consumers, this accessible, timely book is a must†'read for anyone who's ever clicked "like" or "retweet."
CHAPTER 1. All Platforms Moderate
CHAPTER 2. The Myth of the Neutral Platform
CHAPTER 3. Community Guidelines, or the Sound of No
CHAPTER 4. Three Imperfect Solutions to the Problem of Scale
CHAPTER 5. The Human Labor of Moderation
CHAPTER 6. Facebook, Breastfeeding, and Living in Suspension
CHAPTER 7. To Remove or to Filter
CHAPTER 8. What Platforms Are, and What They Should Be
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 22. Okt 2019)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.12987/9780300235029 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|